Monday, May 7, 2012

2012-05-07: Line Art


This picture started off as a character design page for a short story I'm trying to finalize in time for the second quarter of the Writers of the Future contest, but I liked the angle enough to sketch out a full jumping/falling pose.

While I'm still a novice at both drawing and fiction writing, it strikes me that there are useful parallels between the creative process for each art that lends a unique insight into the other.  The first draft of any work of fiction - as Ernest Hemingway famously quipped - is crap, and it's best for a writer to accept that fact up front lest he or she get discouraged by the initial result.  The same can be said of the rough sketch for an illustration.  In this case (and in the case of my new profile picture), the initial sketch was so dodgy that I didn't even feel comfortable enough to post it.  A couple of trace overs and refinements took that rough sketch to the line art above, much in the way that several redrafts can finalize the basic structure, plot, and style of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment